Wednesday, August 31, 2011

JUSTICE RIDERS #1 by Dennis Culver


Dennis Culver is an artist and writer living in the SF Bay Area currently working on a couple of books for Oni Press. His work can be found at www.dennisculver.com and his sketchblog www.dennisculver.tumblr.com
 
Dennis says: I always loved the “Superheroes in the Old West” idea of the Elseworlds Justice Riders by Chuck Dixon and JH WIlliams and thought it would be neat to have the “Justice” team legacy stretch even further back than the JSA.

My series would take place a bit before Return of Bruce Wayne #4 and detail what happened to Batman before he rode into Gotham. Whip Whirlwind is better known as Max Mercury who did a lot of bouncing through time himself taking on several identities during various eras. Abin Sur worked in the West during Legends of the DCU #21 so I figured he could turn up to chase down Starro. Since DC incorporated Wildstorm continuity I figured the immortal Zealot (Lady Zannah) from Wildcats would make a nice addition to the team. I was on the fence about Super-Chief (Saganowahna) until I remembered how writer Chris Roberson in a recent issue of Superman hinted that the Manitou Stone had Kryptonian origins.

Future members might include Nighthawk and Cinnamon (who eventually reincarnate into Hawkman and Hawkwoman), the Vigilante, the angel Zauriel, and a time travelling android named Hourman!

The Justice Riders were created by Chuck Dixon and JH Williams III.

10 comments:

  1. This is so great, Dennis! Everything about this is great. The cover! The concept! The obvious thought you put into your line-up! Well done, sir. I would read the hell out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very exciting idea and great approach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would take this baby home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words everybody. I had a lot of fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starro legs as old-timey mustaches! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puts the new Justice League to shame! Love the whole premise (coincidentally, my Reign of the Supermen feature is Justice Riders related tomorrow morning), and the characters you've chose. All but Zealot, but then I've just never been interested in the Image/Wildstorm characters.

    Would read? Too much western in this new 52? NOT AT ALL. WOULD READ YES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please please please pitch this to DC. I so would read it and recommend it to all my friends. I LOVE IT! (And trust me I never ever say that).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of the park, Dennis! I absolutely adore this cover! I really dig how each of the 'Starroed' characters are all unique underneath. Great work, pal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite Elseworld!
    Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete